Call us on: 0870 241 7687


The Construction Skills Card Scheme card was created to reduce the number and severity of workplace accidents and injuries in the UK’s construction industry.

It was determined that having a single, unified system of skill and safety certification would make it easier for employers and managers within the industry to identify and hire HSE-trained, qualified and experienced people, and to encourage anyone interested in a career in construction to seek such training and qualifications on their own.

How can I get a CSCS Card?

Firstly, consider the card you are applying for and the particular requirements obtaining it.

To apply for a Skilled Workers CSCS card, an applicant is required to hold one of the following:

NVQ Level 2 or 3
Approved Apprenticeship (for example, completion proof of SBATC / NJCBI)

If you do not have any of the above qualifications but have on the job experience (normally at least one year in the last three) you can apply for a temporary Experienced Worker card.

Once you have selected your card you will need to pass the Health and Safety Test (commonly referred to as the touchscreen test) and apply online at

How long is the Experienced Worker Card Valid?

The card is valid for one year and is non-renewable. It is issued on a temporary basis whilst a Construction Related N/SVQ is being achieved and it is expected to be replaced by a five-year Skilled Worker card upon achievement of the N/SVQ. Proof of registration to the S/NVQ is required before they can apply for this type of card.

What is the cost?

The Health and Safety Test is a cost of £19.50. This can be booked online at or by calling the test bookings team on 0344 994 4488. Times, dates and venues available for the test will be confirmed at the time of booking.

Once the test has been passed the individual can contact the CSCS Helpdesk on 0344 994 4777 to apply. They will need to have a debit/credit card available to make the payment of £30.00. The Customer Co-ordinator will then be able to process and request the card whilst they are on the phone (providing all criteria for the card applied for has been met) and this will be sent out in the next working day’s first class post.

To apply for a CSCS card you must have the appropriate construction related qualifications and training and, in most cases, you must pass the CITB Health safety and environment Test within the previous two years.

The aim of the test is to examine knowledge across a wide range of topics to improve safety and productivity on site. It is usually taken as a PC-based touch screen test. Everyone applying for a CSCS card must pass the appropriate health, safety and environment test.

CSCS stopped issuing CRO cards from 31st March 2017

CRO cards issued since 1st October 2015 will expire on 30th September 2017*

CRO cardholders must take further steps to replace their CRO cards before they expire.

The removal of the CRO card affects over 230,000 CRO card holders. In many cases CRO card holders will be required to register for existing or newly developed qualifications. In others, card holders will be asked to move to one of CSCS’s Partner Card Schemes that are more appropriate for their occupation. For some, where their occupation is not construction related or no suitable qualifications exist, a CSCS card will no longer be issued.

Get In Touch

© 2023 Modular & Portable Building Association. All Rights Reserved. Registered in England 00364145

Website by Agency 17